S3 is a simple key-value store
S3 is object-based. Objects consist of the following:
- Key: It is simply the name of the object. For example, hello.txt, spreadsheet.xlsx, etc. You can use the key to retrieve the object.
- Value: It is simply the data which is made up of a sequence of bytes. It is actually a data inside the file.
- Version ID: Version ID uniquely identifies the object. It is a string generated by S3 when you add an object to the S3 bucket.
- Metadata: It is the data about data that you are storing. A set of a name-value pair with which you can store the information regarding an object. Metadata can be assigned to the objects in Amazon S3 bucket.
- Subresources: Subresource mechanism is used to store object-specific information.
- Access control information: You can put the permissions individually on your files.